Stomach tattoos have been a popular choice among both men and women for quite some time. In ancient cultures, stomach tattoos were used by people as a mark of tribal identification and as a means of immediately distinguishing who was a friend and who was foe. One of the reasons that stomach tattoos are so popular today is because of their ability to be exposed or hidden at will even though it is one of the largest areas of the body that one can tattoo. Therefore, those opting for stomach tattoos are able to choose from numerous designs, patterns and sizes.
Styles for Stomach Tattoos
Stomach tattoos are generally created by using a number of particular styles. One of the most popular styles uses vertical designs, typically starting below the belly button and continuing up the side of the stomach. Other styles are designed to cover the area across the top of the stomach (just under the ribs) or horizontally across the lower stomach (below the belly button). The lower stomach is also a popular place to tattoo small designs, a popular choice among women. Another popular style is designed to encircle the belly button— an attractive placement for both intricate stomach tattoos as well as bolder ones.
Stomach Tattoos for Women
Stomach tattoos are commonly used to highlight the natural curves of a woman’s body. They often entail vertical designs and patterns that curve down under the belly button and up towards the hip. Such tattoos on a woman are very stylish, sexy and are generally quite feminine. Other popular placements among women include around the belly button and designs of various sizes located on the lower stomach area. Some of the most popular designs for women’s stomach tattoos include:
• Butterflies: representing change and transformation in life and are also known to represent rebirth and reincarnation. These designs are easily manipulated into various shapes and sizes and are typically done in bright colors. Using numerous butterflies in the same design can have a very stunning effect.
• Flowers: classic tattoo designs that add a look of grace and beauty to a woman’s body. Since many flowers carry specific meanings, flower stomach tattoos are great choices for women looking for designs carrying personal meanings.
• Stars: considered symbols of truth, spirit and hope. These symbols have many qualities that make them very fashionable stomach tattoos in any size and pattern.
• Birds: known to symbolize strong spirits, one’s soul, beauty and freedom. Some of the most commonly used birds for women’s stomach tattoos include bluebirds, swallows and doves.
Stomach Tattoos for Men
When it comes to stomach tattoos, men often choose large, elaborate designs that are easily noticeable. They are typically very masculine designs with bold outlines and are often styled to accentuate a strong physique. Some of the most commonly used designs for men’s stomach tattoos include:
• Tribal: designs that are created using only black ink and an infinite variety of simple shapes and patterns. Tribal stomach tattoos can be made as small or as large as one chooses and can easily be customized to accentuate muscle definition.
• Dragons: known to represent strength, power and protective qualities. There are numerous styles of dragon tattoos to choose from. One of the most popular styles is the Chinese dragon. It’s flowing design and bright colors make for very attractive stomach tattoos.
• Anchors: symbols for stability and strong foundations. Anchor tattoos were mostly popular among sailors and are closely associated with naval and marine careers.
• Lettering: some of the most sought after designs when it comes to stomach tattoos for men. There are unlimited possibilities with the option of customizing one’s own font design. Some of the most commonly used stomach tattoo fonts include tribal lettering, calligraphy, Arabic script and Hebrew script.
Celebrities with Stomach Tattoos
TRAVIS BARKER/Musician: has a large image of a boom box tattooed in the middle of his stomach along with the word “LOVE” etched across his lower stomach.
TOMMY LEE/Musician: has the word “Mayhem” tattooed across his upper stomach.
ALYSSA MILANO/Actress: has a fairy tattooed on her lower stomach.
BRAD PITT/Actor: has his wife’s birthday tattooed in Khmer (Cambodian language) across his lower stomach.
ANGELINA JOLIE-PITT/Actress: has “Quod me nutrit me destruit” meaning, “what nourishes me also destroys me,” tattooed across her lower stomach. She also has a large black cross tattooed on the left side of her lower stomach.
AMY WINEHOUSE/British singer: has the image of an anchor along with the words “Hello Sailor” tattooed on the right side of her stomach.
View professionally designed stomach tattoos NOW!